Saturday, July 19, 2014

A kaka in a nikau tree - 18/4/14

A couple of days after cyclone Lusi had blown through this guy turned up in one of the nikau trees at the top of the section. Tui, B, Lola and Lupe saw him as they came to visit, so I grabbed my camera to take some photos. I’d just bought an old Tamron zoom lens which was the longest lens I had, although not particularly sharp when the aperture is opened wide which I needed to do, but the photos are ok. I ended up walking down the neighbours driveway to get a good angle to shoot from with the trees giving a good background. The kaka watched me a little but didn’t seem too concerned, much more interested in tearing into the nikau berries. He’d use his beak to help swing from flower to flower, then pick out a berry, transfer it to a claw to hold it while eating.

Apparently there is a small group of kaka who live at Onetangi now, but before that they were thought to stop over on the way from Little Barrier to the Waitakere Ranges. I’m not sure what he was doing at our place but maybe the storm had blown him off course and he was having a feed before continuing. I haven’t seen any other kaka since then, but I’ll keep my eyes open around the island and maybe see some more.








No comments:

Post a Comment